Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentine's Day Summary

My hubby and I have tried to "boycott" Valentine's Day since we were engaged! I don't think we are very good at it because we have always done something sneaky and romantic for one another on V-Day. Perhaps it is an over-commercialized "Hallmark" holiday in which many rush to the stores to overstock and over-indulge in chocolate. But maybe there is something more to this day of love...

My sweetheart took me to the Blue Fin Restaurant here in Howell. We had delicious sushi rolls made with fresh salmon and our buddies Lara and Steve had us try raw eel and octupus! I didn't care much for the eel but the octupus was really good! This surprised me. In fact, liking sushi to begin with surprised me. (I first tried it a few months ago and LOVED it!!) I think it helps that I've only eaten well-made sushi. :) But, before we dined on the delicious feast of raw fish, Alan and I got to attend a temple session together. We haven't been to the temple in a long time but I am so blessed and have a wonderful visiting teacher and amazing friend who offered to watch our crazy kids. I really can't think of a better place to spend Valentine's Day with the man I love mostest in the world!!

So I've come to the conclusion, with this being our 8th V-Day together, that devoting a day to simply show love for the ones you love and care for the most isn't such a bad idea after all. I guess it's not such an awful thing to have a day set aside especially for that. Life is busy and crazy and scheduling a day of romance definitely has its perks!

3 comments:

Julie Barb said...

Sounds like a great Valentine's Day! (although I'm not as brave as you and don't think I could have eaten sushi, eel, and octopus!) I agree that nothing is better than attending the temple together:)

Angie Cheney said...

One day I hope to agree. Your blog looks cute Melissa!

Renae said...

What a wonderful Valentine's day! Good food, good company and temple trip! I'm all for V-day if it includes chocolate. :)